The Luvox dose was too low; should go for 300mg daily. Prozac 80mg is a good antiobsessional dose. is she working with an experienced OCD therapist who regularly does CBT? it is important to have a therapist who really understands OCD. you can go to http://www.ocfoundation.org and look under Treatment Providers and put in your location for a list of people in your area.
1. no, but it makes things a little easier often
2. the symptom does not allow you to pick a medication. it is trial and error. go to http://www.ocfoundation.org for information on medication options.
3. i prefer adding Namenda to a SSRI. the atypical neuroleptics can have a lot of long term problems but they are worth a 2-3 month trial if OCD is persistent. be sure and stop them if they don't clearly help.
4. you can Google side effects from any med she is on. also, ask the prescribing doctor what side effects are common.
5. talk to the prescribing doctor
6. if just starting a SSRI we usually wait 3 months at full dose to evaluate response. if on another SSRI and switching the time to response can be shorter. no way to answer this for an individual patient.
Michael Jenike, MD